An easy and tasty way to use up that zucchini from your garden! The zukes are grilled first, then baked on top of some dough with onion, jalapeno, and mozzarella cheese. This is the perfect summer pizza!
- 1 lb pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 jalapeño, sliced and seeded
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/8″ rounds or shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Prepare dough according to package directions (mine didn’t need much prep).
- Slice the zucchini and grill (on the BBQ or an indoor griddle) about 2-3 minutes on each side until mostly cooked. Set aside.
- Divide the dough in half and place on a flour-dusted cutting board. Dust the dough all around with flour and press into a rough circle about 8 or 9″ in diameter, handling it as little as possible (you can also roll it, but I find this makes for a less airy crust). If it is resisting your efforts, let it rest for 15 minutes and try again.
- Transfer the dough onto two separate pieces of parchment. Cut/tear the excess parchment off so it doesn’t burn in the oven.
- Spread half the tomato sauce onto each pizza and top each with half the grilled zucchini, onion, and jalapeno. Top with mozzarella and slide the parchment and pizza into the oven onto a hot pizza stone (or bake on a cookie sheet if you don’t have a stone).
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned and the crust is golden. It is best to bake them one at a time. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then cut and serve!
As an alternative, you can also cook your pizza completely on the grill. Spread your dough into a circle onto the back of a floured baking sheet, and slide it directly onto the oiled grates of your hot grill. Close the top and cook until brown, then flip, brush on a little oil, and put your toppings on as desired. Close and continue to cook. Avoid spreading your dough too thin or placing it on a grill that isn’t hot enough, or you might wind up with your dough in the coals. A pizza peel is best for removing it carefully from the heat, but sliding it onto a plate with tongs should work. Happy grilling!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking, Grilling
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pizza, vegetarian, zucchini, mozzarella