Change up your normal routine when you make pizza at home with kefir-soaked spelt pizza dough. It’s totally worth the wait.
- 2 1/2 cups white spelt flour, plus up to 1/2 cup more, as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup plain milk kefir
- 1/2 cup warm water
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups spelt flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, yeast, and kefir. Add warm water, and stir until the dough starts to come together.
- Using your hands, knead dough in the bowl until it is smooth and no longer sticky or tacky, about 1-2 minutes. If it’s is too wet, add flour ¼ cup at a time until it comes together. Form into a ball.
- Place in a clean mixing bowl, and drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Roll the dough in oil to cover completely. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours to rise until doubled in size. Check on the dough after 1 hour, and if it hasn’t risen enough, check every 30 minutes until it’s ready.
- Split the dough in half, wrap tightly in plastic, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When you’re ready to bake, stretch each piece out onto parchment paper, flouring your hands and the dough as necessary, freeforming the dough into two crusts.
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F, and place pizza stones, pizza pans or baking sheets inside to preheat. Add topics of choice, transfer dough onto the pans right on the parchment, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until crust has puffed and turned golden at the edges, cheese has melted, etc.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: pizza, spelt, kefir, spelt flour, pizza dough, pizza crust