You’d never guess this fluffy banana bread is vegan, with whole grains. Spiced with cinnamon and garam masala, and mixed with walnuts, make it now on Foodal.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×4-inch pan or 2 mini loaf pans. Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and garam masala.
- Place the bananas in a large bowl. Use the back of a fork to mash them. Add the brown sugar and use a large spoon to mix well. Slowly pour in the melted margarine while stirring, then add the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Dump the dry ingredients on top of the wet and use your spoon to stir them until they are almost combined. Add the walnuts and fold in until all the flour is moistened.
- Pour the batter into your baking pan(s). Bake for 55-60 minutes for the 8×4-inch pan, or about 40 minutes for the mini pans, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, and let cool completely on a cooling rack. Cut into slices and serve!
- Category: Quick Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: banana, garam masala, cinnamon