This fancy beet & orange salad is really simple, but is sure to impress any guests you have. Or you can eat it all by yourself, for a nutritious and tasty lunch at home. Baby spinach (or Kale), pine nuts, goat cheese, and couscous round out and compliment the flavors of the beets and oranges
- 2 large handfuls salad greens, such as baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 cup cooked couscous*
- 1 orange
- 2 small cooked beets
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese*
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp head ancho vinegar or white wine vinegar
- freshly cracked black pepper
- leaves from 1 sprig thyme
- Place the salad greens in a medium bowl and top with the cooked couscous.
- Use a sharp petty knife to cut a 1/4″ off the top and bottom of the orange, then place the orange on the cutting board with a cut side down. Cut the peel off the orange in 1/2″ sections from top to bottom, following the contours of the orange. Remove any remaining pith, then cut the orange across the center into 1/8″ rounds. Lay the cut oranges on top of the couscous and salad.
- Cut the cooked beets into 1/8″ rounds and add to the salad. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and pine nuts.
- Mix the olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl, then drizzle on top of the salad. Top with black pepper freshly ground with a pepper mill and thyme leaves and serve.
– I used a couscous medley from the supermarket. You could use a variety of other grains in this recipe, such as cooked barley, farro, wild rice, or black rice.
– Omit the cheese for an equally delicious vegan version.