Raw Brussels sprouts are shredded into a nice soft mixture that has a lemony oil dressing applied which lightly softens them and then the mixture is topped with walnuts and dates. This salad is incredible and words cannot adequately describe the taste.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 4 ounces (or what should measure a cup) walnuts
- 12 dates, pitted
For the Dressing:
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon (or up to 1tsp)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and trim off their woody ends. Pulse in a food processoruntil evenly shredded throughout. Place in bowl.
- Toast walnuts in skillet on the stove for about four or five minutes, until darkened and fragrant.
- Meanwhile make dressing: whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon, apple cider vinegar. It should come together into a nice dressing consistency.
- Chop roasted walnuts in food processor (no need to wash it out from the Brussels sprouts), pulsing two or three times until small. Add to Brussels sprouts in bowl. Pour dressing on top; toss; salt and pepper to taste.
- For the final touch: chop the dates in a food processor (again, no need to wash it), pulsing until small, and add them to the bowl and toss.
You’ll note in the directions that I added the dates at the end; that’s because I only decided to add them at all at the last minute. Good decision – the sweet chewiness adds another layer of texture and flavor to the salad. Of course, I’m sure it’d be fine to throw them in with walnuts and Brussels sprouts at the beginning, but, because I liked this version so much, I’m leaving all the directions as is.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Counterop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: shredded salad, brussels sprouts, walnuts, dates, lemon dressing, healthy, easy