An easy weekend lunch for the days you want to be a bit more decadent… and grown up. Grilled cheese for mature people.
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- 2 pitas
- 1/4 cup drained sliced sundried tomatoes
- 3.5 oz sharp white cheddar cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the onion in half through the end, then peel off the outer layers. Slice into 1/4″ strips. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until translucent but not browned. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring every few minutes or so, for about 1 hour. When finished, they should be nicely golden all around. Lower the heat to avoid burning, if necessary.
- Cut the pitas in half, then carefully separate the layers into a pocket. Place 1 Tbsp sundried tomatoes in a pocket and spread them about evenly. Add 1/4 of the onions, then add a couple slices of cheese (you kind of have to stuff everything in there). Repeat for the remaining pockets.
- Once stuffed, brush a bit of olive oil over the top of each pita. Heat a griddle (or just a pan, if that is all you have) over medium heat. Place the pitas oiled-side down and let cook until lightly charred and the cheese begins to melt.
- Brush the top of each pita with olive oil, then flip and continue cooking until the cheese is very melty and the pita is lightly charred.
- Let cool momentarily, then eat!
If you want a truly from “scratch” meal, then check out our guide on making your own homemade pitas and your own homemade sundried tomatoes.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Comfort
Keywords: grilled cheese, white cheddar, pita, sundried tomatoes