These pita sandwiches are stuffed or topped with roasted veggies, spicy chickpeas, and a cilantro and cayenne tahini dressing. Perfect for lunch or dinner, they make great leftovers.
For the Veggies:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Garbanzo Beans:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Slice the bell peppers, zucchini, and red onion into 1/4″ strips. Place in the baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Use your hands to evenly distribute the oil.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4″ thick bite-sized pieces and slice the mushrooms. Add to the baking dish along with the salt and toss with the other ingredients. Bake for 35-45 minutes until everything is soft, stirring once.
- While the veggies roast, prep the sauce if you haven’t already.
- To cook the garbanzos, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and let warm, then stir in the garbanzos. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and starting to brown on some parts. Add the spices and cook for another minute or so, until everything is really fragrant.
- Warm the pitas either in a dry skillet on the stove or in the microwave.
- Pile some veggies on top of each pita, then top with some garbanzos, cherry tomatoes, green onion, and the sauce. Alternately, slice and stuff inside. Eat immediately.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Stovetop, Bake
- Cuisine: Lunch
Keywords: vegetarian, chickpea, vegetable, sandwich