Green beans paired with soba nooldes with crispy fried shallots and toasted pine nuts for a delicious vegetarian and vegan side dish which can be made gluten-free by using 100% buckwheat noodles.
- Cook soba noodles according to package instructions, then toss with about a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook, tossing every now and then, until the beans are lightly charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- While the green beans cook, place the pine nuts in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Peel and cut the shallots into 1/4″ slices. Separate the rounds with your fingers, then toss with the cornstarch and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Heat about 1/2″ of canola oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (I used the same skillet that I used for the pine nuts). Add the shallots with a fork – they should sizzle when added and while cooking, but shouldn’t pop or splatter much. Cook until deep golden brown and crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool.
- Finally, assemble the dish with the noodles on the bottom, topped with the green beans, shallots, and pine nuts. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, then squeeze a lemon on top. Enjoy immediately!
– If you are gluten free, be sure to use gluten free soba noodles made with 100% buckwheat (some noodles use combination of buckwheat and regular wheat flour).
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: sidedish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: noodles
Keywords: soba, side dish, gluten-free, buckwheat, noodles, green beans