Perfectly chewy and creamy, this Pumpkin Kamut with Pecorino and Hazelnuts is a healthier, fall-flavored risotto without all the stirring.
- 1 cup Kamut® grains (or 3 cups cooked)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pie pumpkin (or 3 cups pureed pumpkin)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ cup grated Pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine one cup uncooked Kamut with 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 60-90 minutes, or until the grains are soft and chewy.
- While the Kamut cooks, prep and roast the pumpkin. Preheat oven to 375°F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the pumpkin in half. Scoop out seeds and then rub the insides with coconut oil. Place the halves, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 40-60 minutes, or until the flesh is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Scoop out flesh and puree in a food processor, or place in a bowl and mash with a potato masher. Measure out 3 cups of puree and set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once butter is melted, add onion, garlic powder, black pepper, and ginger. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in puree, grated cheese, heavy cream, and sugar until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the cooked kamut and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in half of the sauce, and taste. Continue to add more sauce a few spoonfuls at a time until the texture is creamy and the flavor is to your liking. Leftover sauce can be saved for another use.
- Divide mixture evenly between 6 bowls. Top with roasted hazelnuts and extra grated cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Fall
- Method: Stovetop, Roasting
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: kamut, pumpkin, fall, hazelnut, squash