This vegetarian baked beans recipe is perfect for a summer BBQ! Super easy to make, healthy, and delicious, this recipe can’t be beat.
- 1 lb dry navy beans, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- Add the navy beans to a stockpot and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then remove from the heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour.
- Drain the soaked beans, then add to the slow cooker along with the onion and garlic.* Add the vegetable broth and mix.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients except the salt, cornstarch, and 1 Tbsp water. Mix well, then pour into the slow cooker and mix to combine.
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours, until beans are soft and the liquid has thickened a bit.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water, then add to the pot of beans and stir. Let sit about 5 minutes to thicken a bit before serving.
– For even better flavor, sautee the onion in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds, then transfer it all to the slow cooker.
Keywords: vegetarian, baked beans, cook outs, tailgating, game day, side dish, barbecue, grilling