This vegetarian baked beans recipe is perfect for a summer BBQ! Super easy to make, healthy, and delicious, this recipe can’t be beat.
- 1 lb dry navy beans, rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the navy beans to a stockpot and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then remove from the heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour.
- Drain the soaked beans, then add to the slow cooker along with the onion and garlic.* Add the vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, molasses, chili garlic paste, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar until combined. Pour into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours, until beans are soft and the liquid has thickened.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add to the pot of beans along with the salt and stir to combine. Let sit about 5 minutes to thicken a bit more before serving.
* For even better flavor, sautee the onion in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds, then transfer it all to the slow cooker.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Barbecuing and Cookouts
Keywords: vegetarian, baked beans, cook outs, tailgating, game day, side dish, barbecue, grilling