Forget spending a ton of time building flavor – you can make the ultimate bowl of French onion soup in your Instant Pot.
For the Soup:
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced very thin (approx. 3 cups)
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 cups homemade or low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt + more for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper + more for seasoning
For the Cheesy Toast:
- 6–12 slices French baguette
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Set Instant Pot to Saute.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter with the oil in the Instant Pot. Once hot, add onions and sugar to the insert. Saute until golden and caramelized, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and melt on Saute. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk until light golden brown in color, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth until combined.
- Add onions, wine, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on Manual Pressure on High for 30 minutes. Quick release pressure. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into oven-safe crocks and place on a baking sheet. Heat broiler on high.
- Place 1-2 baguette slices on top of the soup in each crock.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated cheese on top of the bread in each crock. Broil for 2-3 minutes, watching carefully to make sure they don’t burn. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Pressure Cooked
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Instant Pot, French onion soup, onion, French