An easy, comforting soup recipe. Sausage and red pepper flakes give this hearty soup a bit of spice, while potatoes and white beans make it nice and creamy. Substitute ingredients provided for a vegan version. This soup is a classic!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium gold potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 15oz cans white beans
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth also works for meat eaters)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp mixed dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups lightly packed kale
- 2 pork OR veggie link sausages, cut into half moons
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Warm 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large stock pot on the stove. Add the diced onion and carrots and cook over medium-high heat until just starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, then the potatoes. Let cook for an additional 7 or 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse and drain the white beans, then add them to the pot along with the can of diced tomatoes, the vegetable broth, and the water. Add the tomato paste, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- While the soup is simmering, cut the sausages in half, then slice into half moons. Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, then add the sausages. Cook, tossing often, until the sausages are nicely browned all over. Remove from the heat.
- When the potatoes are soft, stir in the kale and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add the browned sausage and stir together, then serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian, soup, stew, vegan, fall, autumn