Naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and apples, these oat muffins studded with dried cranberries and walnuts are a healthy vegan treat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, divided
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla), plus more for thinning as needed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled, divided
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners (or spray with non-stick cooking spray).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, 3/4 cup of the oats, the baking powder, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of the coconut sugar. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, applesauce, and 3 tablespoons of the coconut oil.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet, making sure not to overmix. Fold in the grated apple, walnuts, and cranberries. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Just before baking, preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare the muffin topping. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining rolled oats, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and oil to combine.
- Spoon even amounts of the batter into 8 muffin cups, filling them to the top. Evenly sprinkle with the oat topping.
- Bake until the muffins are golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container on the counter, or tightly wrap and freeze individual portions.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Muffin
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Good
Keywords: muffin, vegan, oat, apple, walnut