An easy recipe for the best BBQ appetizer out there! Cauliflower is covered in a gluten-free batter and baked until crisp, then sauced with the spiciest cayenne sauce you can imagine! These are impossible to resist.
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (I used Frank’s)
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1–3 tsp cayenne pepper*
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice*
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp agave syrup (or honey)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the flax seed, water, and hot sauce in a large bowl to make a spicy flax egg, and set aside to thicken.
- Cut and break your cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the almond meal and brown rice flour to the flax mixture, and stir until no lumps remain. Add the cauliflower to the bowl and toss with a rubber spatula until the every piece is completely covered in the batter.
- Spread the cauliflower onto your baking sheet and space the pieces as far apart from each other as possible. Bake for 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the cauliflower to the bowl and toss to coat in the cayenne mixture. This requires quite a bit of tossing!
- Return the cauliflower to the pan and bake for another 7-10 minutes, until a bit crunchy. Serve immediately* with ranch dressing.
If you’re not so hot on the spicy, reduce the cayenne to 1 tsp, or even 1/2 tsp. If you like it hot (or are curious to see how hot it can get!) then use the full 3 tsp.
If you need to make these ahead, just cook, cool, and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, just reheat them in a 425°F oven for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
If you don’t need to make this recipe without gluten, you can use 1/2 cup all-purpose flour instead of the almond meal and brown rice flour.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, hot wings, buffalo wings, lime, spicy, cauliflower