These nachos are the perfect combination of restaurant gourmet and classic comfort. Smoky, cheesy, and delicious.
- Cooking oil spray
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp minced red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced jalapeno (seeds removed for more mild version)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (or lime)
- 20 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 5 oz tortilla chips (a few good handfuls)
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF and grease a baking sheet.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add a pinch of salt and toss.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they release their juices. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add half the chopped chipotle peppers and a pinch of salt, and stir to distribute.
- While the mushrooms cook down, coat another skillet with 2 tsp olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned.
- Mix the remaining chipotles with the minced garlic and the remaining tablespoon of oil. Mix with a fork, then add to the onions. Cook for another minute or so, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat.
- Combine the mozzarella and cheddar cheese in a bowl.
- Make a pile of tortilla chips on the baking sheet, then top with half the onions, then half the mushrooms. Add some of the tomato salsa, then half the cheese. Repeat with the remaining onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- Category: Nachos
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Appetizer
Keywords: nachos, mushroom, chipotle, cheese