These vegan blueberry scones are the perfect way to enjoy fresh blueberries. Perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling*
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 400°F. Wash the blueberries under cool, running water in a colander. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the flax seed and water to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl or 2-cup measuring cup, measure out the milk, then add the apple cider vinegar and the brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add the flax egg and stir well.
- Cut the margarine into 1/2-inch chunks, then add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender or your fingertips to quickly work the margarine into the flour; it will have a sandy texture with some pea-sized bits.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture all at once, then use a large spoon (or better yet, a danish dough whisk) to bring it together to form a dough. Fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface (a marble slab works nicely here, to keep the dough cool) and gently knead for about 1 minute.
- Pat the dough into a slab 1 inch thick, and use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut into rounds, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather the scraps and repeat until all the dough is used up. Sprinkle each round with a bit of brown sugar.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden on top. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. These are best enjoyed warm.
If you prefer a sweeter scone, add another tablespoon of packed brown sugar to the batter.
To reheat the next day, place in a toaster oven on bake mode for 5 minutes, or until warm through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Scones
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods, Breakfast
Keywords: blueberry, scone, summer, vegan