Make the most of homegrown vegetables with the best green bean and yellow squash casserole. It pairs well with any entree.
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into ⅛-inch half moons
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 1/4 cups chopped green beans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 slices firm white sandwich bread, coarsely ground in a food processor (about 2 1/4 cups crumbs)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (14 fl oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Put oven rack in lower third of oven and put a large baking sheet on the rack, then preheat to 475°F.
- In a large bowl, toss squash with 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 ½ tsp salt, and 1 ½ tsp black pepper.
- Spread one third of the mixture on the preheated baking pan in a single layer. Roast in the oven until tender, stirring once, about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer cooked squash to another large bowl. Repeat this roasting process with the remaining squash, in two additional batches. If you have a large enough sheet pan to spread the squash in a single layer, use that pan and ignore the instructions to cook in batches.
- In the same bowl you tossed the squash in, add the green beans, onions, and green onions with the remaining olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet in an even layer and roast until onions are golden, stirring once, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer green beans and onions to bowl with the squash. Move oven rack to middle position and reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, then add breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat crumbs. Spread in an even layer on a clean baking sheet and bake without stirring until pale golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in flour and cook roux, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil while you continue whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Whisk in sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over squash mixture and stir gently until combined well.
- Butter a 3-quart baking dish, spread squash mixture in the dish, and sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling, 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 40 min
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: green bean, summer squash, crookneck, sour cream