Cinnamon, fresh ginger, and ground cloves come together in this aromatic gluten-free cookie. Rich molasses makes for a yummy, chewy treat.
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup Sucanat unrefined cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups buckwheat flour, plus more for shaping
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets with butter, or line with silicone mats.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil and sugar together with spoon or mixer until sugar is fully incorporated.
- Add egg and stir to combine. Add molasses and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until thoroughly combined.
- Add molasses mixture to dry ingredients.
- Stir slowly as the dough stiffens up into a thick paste, being sure to incorporate all of the flour. Do not overmix.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, portion out 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a rough ball, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Repeat to yield about 36 balls of dough. Sprinkle a pinch of raw sugar on top of each ball.
- Arrange balls on the prepared baking sheets with at least 1 inch of space between each.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly underdone. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for five minutes. Use a spatula to gently transfer cookies from baking sheets to desired serving platter, or place on cooling racks to cool completely.
Adapted from Always in the Kitchen.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cooking
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
Keywords: buckwheat cookies, ginger, molasses