A traditional, old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie that entirely satisfies that cookie craving. A simple vegan recipe that you’ll make time and time again!
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance), room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a piece of parchment or a silicone liner over a baking sheet, or lightly oil the pan.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in another bowl. Set aside.
- Place the room-temperature margarine (I warm up chilled margarine in the microwave for about 20 seconds) in another bowl. Add the sugars and whisk vigorously for about 2 minutes. The mixture should become light and fluffy and take on a light beige color.
- Add the flax egg and the vanilla to the butter mixture, and whisk well until combined.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture, and stir together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just until combined – do not overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and gently fold into the batter.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating once, until just barely beginning to brown on the bottom. They will look underdone on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool 10 minutes before enjoying – if you can wait!
Measuring the flour by spooning it lightly into a measuring cup. If you generally scoop your flour out of the bin, you may want to use 1 1/4 cups (though scooping is never a great way to measure flour and can lead to inconsistent results – so it’s best if you spoon it).
I recommend using the Earth Balance stick margarine, as the tub version can be a bit greasy. However, I have made these cookies with the tub margarine just fine as well.
These are rather sweet, but that’s how I like my cookies. If you like cookies that are a bit less sweet, decrease the brown sugar to 1/3 cup.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan cookies, chocolate chip, chocolate chip cookies