The BEST vegan brownie recipe out there, this triple-punch of chocolate is sure to satisfy any chocolate craving. A crispy-crackly crust covers a moist and fudgy center filled with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp water, divided
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips + an (optional) additional 1/2 cup, divided
- 7 Tbsp cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 3 Tbsp applesauce
- 3 Tbsp vegan margarine (1 1/2 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment (or grease very well) and set aside.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the flax and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg, and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine 2/3 cup chocolate chips with the cocoa powder, applesauce, margarine, and 1/4 cup water. Toss together but don’t worry about mixing thoroughly.
- Place in the microwave and heat in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is mostly melted, stirring well between each interval. This should take no more than 2 minutes total. When it’s melted, you might see some small non-melted looking bits all over – this is okay.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir to mix well. Add the flax egg and the vanilla, and stir until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, and stir with a large spoon until just combined. The batter may be very thick. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Smooth the top with the back of a large spoon, making sure to press it into all of the corners.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack before serving. Try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Keywords: brownies, vegan, chocolate