No one will guess that the secret to these easy chicken and red pepper enchiladas smothered in garlic cream sauce is Greek yogurt.
For the Enchiladas:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt (or full fat)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt (or full fat)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To poach the chicken, place breasts in a stockpot. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Heat on medium-high until boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, place a lid on the pot, and let chicken sit for 15 minutes, or until cooked through with an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove chicken from water and set aside.
- While chicken cooks, heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add diced red pepper and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Shred cooked chicken using two forks, and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add cooked red pepper, black beans, Greek yogurt, cumin, paprika, salt, and garlic powder. Stir to combine, and set aside.
- Make sauce by melting 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir frequently until it turns a light brown, almost golden color, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add chicken stock, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Whisk in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup prepared sauce into bottom of 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Assemble enchiladas by placing about ½ cup chicken mixture into a tortilla, and then roll it up. Place tortilla seam-side down in the baking pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Once all enchiladas are in the pan, cover with remaining sauce and bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: Enchiladas
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: enchiladas, chicken, garlic, yogurt, black bean, pepper