Nothing says fall like pumpkin baked goods. Add some chocolate to the equation and you’ve got yourself something special. These vegan-friendly chocolate pumpkin swirl muffins will knock your socks off, and are suitable for herbivores and carnivores alike.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup + 1/3 cup vegan granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a muffin tin. Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg, and set aside.
- Combine all the flours, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl. Remove half, using a scale if you have one, and place in another medium bowl.
- To just one of the bowls, add the cocoa powder and sift to remove all clumps. Add 1/3 cup sugar only to the bowl with the cocoa powder and stir to combine. Add 1/3 cup chocolate chips to each bowl and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flax egg, canola oil, almond milk, and pumpkin puree. If you have a kitchen scale, weigh all these ingredients together as you put them in the bowl – this will make dividing it easier. Whisk well.
- Measure a little more than half of the pumpkin mixture into the bowl with the cocoa mixture and stir together. Add the remaining pumpkin mixture to the remaining dry ingredients in the other bowl, and stir just until no lumps remain.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into each cup of a muffin tin. Add an equal amount of the non-chocolate mixture, then use a toothpick to swirl together. Add another bit of chocolate, then a spoonful of pumpkin, and swirl again. Repeat if necessary, until the cups are about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the muffin tin onto a cooling rack and let cool.
Out of oil? No problem – try these creative substitutions.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: Pumpkin, Chocolate, Halloween, Fall, Autumn, baked goods