A simple cabbage and potato soup that everyone will love.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large gold potatoes
- 4 cups light-colored vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 can white beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 Tbsp butter, vegan or otherwise
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, then thinly slice using a sharp chef’s knife. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the cabbage and cook for about 15 minutes, tossing often, until it’s decreased to about 1/3 its original size and is tender.
- While the cabbage cooks, mince the garlic and cut the potatoes into small 1/2″ cubes. Add to the cabbage and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the broth, salt, and thyme and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes, partially covered, until everything is soft.
- Add the beans and let simmer until warm, then stir in the butter and a bunch of black pepper freshly ground. Taste and add more salt if necessary. The broth should be just a tad too salty – when eaten with the cabbage and potatoes it all evens out nicely. Serve.