A simple cabbage and potato soup that everyone will love.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (or butter)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, remove the stem and core, then thinly slice using a sharp chef’s knife.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the cabbage and cook for about 15 minutes, tossing often, until tender and reduced to about 1/3 its original size.
- While the cabbage cooks, mince the garlic and cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the broth, salt, and thyme and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 15 minutes, partially covered, until everything is soft.
- Add the beans and let simmer until warm, then stir in the butter and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if necessary. The broth should be just a tad too salty – when eaten with the cabbage and potatoes, it all evens out nicely. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: cabbage, potato, soup