Like a little kick to your healthy soup? Our spicy roasted vegetable version is for you. It’s easy to use up extra produce with this simple dish.
- 1 eggplant, quartered and cut into discs (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 yellow summer squash, sliced into rounds (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tomato, cut in half
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or non-dairy creamer
- Grated Pecorino or nutritional yeast, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or silicone mats.
- Combine the vegetables in a large mixing bowl bowl and add the coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the vegetables evenly. Divide evenly on the prepared baking sheets and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are tender and golden.
- Remove from oven and place in a large stock pot on the stove. Add the broth and spices, then bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Stir in cream, and add extra broth or cream if desired to adjust consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish if desired, and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Roasting, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lunch
Keywords: soup, spicy, roasted vegetable, fall