Are you looking for a tasty and nutritious vegan winter meal that’s a little bit off the mainstream? If so, try this Roasted Butternut Squash & Black Rice with Hemp-Miso Dressing recipe. The miso adds a salty kick that pairs oh so well with the sweet flavors of the squash. Hemp seeds add a nutty flavor along with lots of nutrients and vitamins
For the Roasted Squash:
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
For the Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp yellow miso*
- 2 Tbsp melted margarine or vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- Heat the oven to 400F. Generously grease a sheet pan and set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package directions – usually 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Or use a good quality rice cooker on the black rice setting.
- Peel the squash according to the directions in the text, then cut the flesh into small 1/2″ pieces. Toss with the oil, then sprinkle the cinnamon, thyme, salt, and pepper on top. Toss again to distribute the spices, then spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, tossing after 15 minutes. Test for doneness with a fork – if it pierces easily then it is ready.
- While the squash roasts, make the dressing, Combine all the dressing ingredients in a countertop blender and blend on high for about 1 minute, until very smooth. Blend more if necessary.
- Serve the black rice, top with some squash, and drizzle dressing on top. Eat immediately.
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: butternut squash, black rice, hemp seeds, miso, gluten-free, vegan, fall, winter