A vegan taco recipe made with healthy sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and radish slaw and flavored with cashew cream. A great alternative even for carnivores looking to clean up their diet during a meatless Monday or taco Tuesday.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened or melted
- Salt, pepper
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced red radish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 or 5 leaves of fresh basil, chopped or torn into small pieces
- Organic and/or sprouted corn tortillas
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cashew cream dip, optional*
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- If you’re like me, it helps to think of these tacos in terms of the parts that make them whole: roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and a radish slaw (plus toppings). So to make the tacos, start out with the sweet potatoes: Peel and dice them into small pieces. Toss in a large bowl with a tablespoon of softened or melted coconut oil and a hefty few dashes of salt. Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet and stick in the oven or a convection toaster oven while you continue doing everything else. They’ll take around 45 minutes to an hour to get soft and golden.
- Next, chop up the crimini mushrooms. Warm a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Add a few dashes of crushed red chili pepper flakes, using more or less depending on how hot you like your mushrooms. Toss a few times, and keep cooking the mushrooms until they’re soft, but not mushy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For the radish slaw, combine 1/4 cup sliced red onion and 1/2 cup sliced red radishes with 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice and a few leaves of fresh basil, torn into small pieces. Toss this together and set aside.
- Chop up a ripe avocado. Set out some pumpkin seeds. Warm your tortillas over the stove if you like. To help your tacos hold together, you may want to double up (two tortillas per taco), but it’s up to you.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, all you do is assemble: Tortilla(s), sweet potatoes, mushrooms, slaw, avocado, pumpkin seeds, cashew cream. Enjoy!
For the the cashew cream, please see our recipe for vegan beet soup and double the cashew cream portion. The nutritional information includes this in its calculation.
Adapted from Balanced Raw.
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican