This eggplant cannelloni recipe is just like the real thing – just a little healthier! Filled with a kale, roasted red pepper, and ricotta filling, these are sure to please.
- Heat your oven to 375°F. Generously spray a baking sheet (or two) with spray oil.
- Slice the eggplants into 1 cm slices and place on the baking sheet without overlapping. Generously oil the slices, flip, and oil the other side.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then flip each of the slices over. Cook another 10 minutes or so until cooked and starting to turn golden. Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
- While the eggplant slices bake, sautee the chopped kale over medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes, until wilted.
- Combine the ricotta, kale, chopped red peppers and rosemary in a large bowl and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Salt to taste.
- Spoon half of the marinara sauce into the bottom of an 11×13″ baking dish.
- Place about 1.5 tablespoons (I didn’t measure this, just go with your gut) onto the cut end of an eggplant slice and roll it up. The ends should meet and overlap a bit. Place into the baking dish and repeat until all the eggplant slices are used or your run out of space.
- Top the rolls with another bit of marinara, then pop it in the oven and cook for another 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Serve topped with freshly grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese.
– Depending on the size of your eggplant, you may have a bit of extra filling. Use it a dip with some pita bread!
– If you have extra rolls altogether, you can bake them separately or just fridge them and heat them in the microwave the next day. They’re just as good!
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegetarian, casserole, eggplant, kale, ricotta, cannelloni