With a pretty cinnamon swirl center, this soft and fluffy vegan bread is perfect for toast, sandwiches, breakfast, or just eaten plain.
For the Bread:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 cups bread flour*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/3 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk, lukewarm
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cooking oil spray
For the Filling and Assembly:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons non-dairy milk
To Make the Dough and First Rise:
- Combine the flours and salt in a large bowl (use your electric stand mixer, if you have one). Mix in the yeast, then the sugar. Warm the milk so it’s not refrigerator cold, for 1-1.5 minutes in the microwave on low power. It shouldn’t be hot, just warm. Add it to the dry mixture, along with the vegetable oil. Use a large wooden spoon to mix it into a shaggy dough.
- If you are using an electric mixer, use the dough hook and knead on low for 7-8 minutes. If you are kneading by hand, knead the dough in the bowl until it is a bit more cohesive. Turn it out onto a lightly floured large, flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes or so, until smooth.
- Pull the dough into a ball, then transfer it to a large, lightly oiled bowl. Spray the top of the ball of dough with nonstick cooking oil spray to prevent it from drying out, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot for 90 minutes, or until doubled in size.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl until fully mixed. Set aside.
To Assemble and Second Rise:
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled flat surface and gently roll into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Brush the surface with the 2 teaspoons of milk, then sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough.
- Roll the dough up into a log from the short end so it ends up being about 9 inches long. Use your fingers to pinch the seal shut. Roll the seal to the bottom, then tuck the ends of the bread under the bottom, so the ends are completely sealed.
- Carefully place the dough in a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Spray the top with cooking spray and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise again in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size and very puffy.
- One the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for about 35 minutes. Lightly cover the top with foil to prevent excess browning, rotate, and cook for another 20 minutes (55 minutes total).
- Use a meat thermometer to check that the bread is at least 190°F in the center – return it to the oven if it needs more time. If you do not have a thermometer, I recommend baking for 65 minutes total.
- Turn the bread out of the pan and let cool for a couple hours before slicing – digging in too soon ensures doughy bread.
If you measure your flour in cups, make sure to gently spoon the flour into the cups and level with a knife – using the cup like a scoop will result in too much flour and super dense bread.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, bread, baking, cinnamon, cinnamon swirl, breakfast, dessert, snack