For the Rolls:
- 7 3/4 oz (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 7 3/4 oz (1 3/4 cups) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz almond milk
- 6 Tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
For the Sticky Syrup:
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 5 Tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
For the Filling:
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegan granulated sugar
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2–3 tsp almond milk
- Unflavored dental floss (to cut)
For the Rolls:
- Combine the flours, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. In a small saucepan, heat the milk to lukewarm (but NOT hot) stir in the margarine until it is completely melted, then pour over the flour mixture. Use a Danish dough whisk or large spoon to mix into a shaggy dough.
- If you are using a stand mixer, attach the dough hook and knead on medium-low speed until a smooth dough forms, about 8-10 minutes. If you are kneading by hand, dump the dough out onto a smooth surface (like a solid countertop, marble slab, or a large cutting board) and knead until smooth, about 12 minutes.
- Oil your hands with a bit of spray oil, then gather the dough and shape into a ball by pulling the sides around and down to the bottom. Oil the bottom of the bowl you mixed the dough in and place the dough inside. Spray the top and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.*
For the Sticky Syrup:
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and margarine in a small saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until it starts to simmer on the edges. Cook for 1 more minute, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the syrup into the bottom of a 9×13″ pan and top with the chopped pecans.
Put It all Together:
- Combine the brown sugar, white sugar, and flour for the filling in a small bowl.
- Use some spray oil to grease a solid work surface, and dump the proofed dough out of the bowl. Use a rolling pin to roll into a 12×15″ rectangle.
- Use a silicone pastry brush to spread a thin layer of almond milk on top of the dough, then sprinkle the filling evenly on top, leaving a 1/2″ border at on one short side that will be used to seal the edges.
- Roll the dough into a tube, starting on the opposite side from where you left the border without filling. Pinch the seam to seal on this edge, pressing together the sticky dough.
- Take a long piece of plain, unflavored dental floss and bring it under the tube of dough. Cross the floss over the top, then pull tight to cut the roll. Cut the into 10 even pieces, and arrange in the baking dish cut side down, with about 1″ between rolls.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove the rolls from the fridge (they should have gotten a bit puffy) and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating halfway thorough, until golden brown. Carefully place an inverted baking sheet on top of the baking dish, and then turn upside down. Let sit for about a minute so that the sticky sauce and pecans can drip down onto the rolls, then remove the baking dish and serve.
Try to find a warm place for your dough to rise. My oven has a proof setting, which works wonderfully and the dough rises in just 40 minutes. Turning the oven light on and closing the door is also an option, as well as microwaving a glass of water until it boils, adding the dough, and closing the door. If the dough is proofing in a cold place, it will take longer to rise.
- Category: Sticky Buns
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: sticky buns, pecan, Christmas, vegan, breakfast