Round out your afternoon with a slice of Maple Blueberry Coffee Cake, made with fresh fruit, a touch of herbs, and a sweet crumble topping.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of dried rosemary
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (½ stick)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Scant ¼ tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2–3 tsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, with the rack in the middle. Butter a nine-inch round cake or springform pan, and line it with buttered parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, thyme, and rosemary. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand, until light and fluffy.
- Drizzle in the maple syrup and beat until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times. Beat in the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla extract, scraping the sides again.
- Add half of the flour mixture, and stir just a bit to nearly combine. Add a splash of the buttermilk, and stir a few times. Add the rest of the flour mixture and stir until nearly combined, and follow with the rest of the buttermilk.
- Stir until everything just comes together, and then very gently fold in one cup of the blueberries. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top, and set aside.
- To make the topping, place the flour, butter, brown sugar, thyme, and walnuts in a food processor. Pulse about 8-10 times, until the mixture is crumbly/sandy.
- Crumble 2/3 of the mixture over the cake batter, sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup berries on top of that, and top with the last of the crumble.
- Gently pat topping in place with your fingertips. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately sprinkle turbinado sugar over the top.
- Cool for five minutes on a wire rack, then remove carefully from the pan and cool completely.
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Coffee Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Cake, Breakfast
Keywords: coffee cake, crumb cake, blueberry, thyme