Fill your home with the scent of the Christmas market with homemade vanilla spice cookies. They’re perfect to set out for Santa.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed. Gradually add the brown sugar, beating well until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, chopped pecans, and spices. Add this dry mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine on low speed.
- Shape the dough into two logs approximately 12 inches in length. Wrap each in waxed paper and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets (or line with silicone mats for easy cleanup), spacing them about 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set and golden brown on the bottom.
- Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vanilla, warming spices, cookie, Christmas, slice and bake