The only treat you need for your seasonal baking, try our versatile slice-and-bake cookies. You can customize them however you like!
For the Base Dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Add-ins as desired (see below for suggestions)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
Dried Cranberry & White Chocolate Chip:
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
Orange Chocolate Chip:
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (about 5)
- 1/2 Tbsp spiced rum (or 1 tsp imitation rum extract)
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Add butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add sifted confectioners’ sugar and beat again until the mixture is smooth and silky, starting on low speed, increasing to medium speed.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla or almond extract on medium speed, followed by the salt and any dried fruits, citrus zest, chopped nuts, or seeds that you will be adding.
- Place the flour in a bowl, and add the cocoa powder if you are using it. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture gradually, beating just until it disappears. Make sure you do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured surface, gather it into a ball, and divide it in half. Wrap each piece of dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Working on a clean, floured surface, form each piece of dough into a log that is about 1 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter. The logs should be about 11-12 inches long.
- Wrap the logs in plastic and chill for 2 hours.
- Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds, and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat nonstick liners.
- While the oven is preheating, roll cookie logs in any coatings of your choice, such as chopped nuts. Using a sharp slender knife, slice each log into discs about 1/3 inch thick. You can make the cookies thicker if you’d like; just bake them longer.
- Place on the lined baking sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch of space between each.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until set but not browned. Transfer to cooling racks to cool to room temperature.
Packed airtight, these cookies will keep for about 5 days at room temperature, or in the freezer for 1 month.
Nutrition facts below include ingredients for the base recipe only, without optional add-ins.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cookie, Christmas, holiday baking, slice and bake