Combine your passion for ancient grains with classic French pastry and make our recipe for einkorn flour cream puffs filled with vanilla pudding.
For the Cream Puffs:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe homemade vanilla pudding
- 4 ounces 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the Cream Puffs:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Combine the butter and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- While they are heating, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
- Once the butter has melted completely, reduce the heat to low and add the flour mixture. With a sturdy wooden spoon, vigorously stir until the batter forms a pasty, gluey dough, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. On medium speed, mix the dough for 5 minutes to slightly cool it.
- With the mixer still running on medium speed, add one egg at a time. Wait until the egg is completely mixed in before adding another. Mix in the vanilla until completely incorporated. The mixture should now be smooth, glossy, and slightly thick.
- Use a small cookie dough scooper to create 12 mounds of dough about 1 1/2 inches wide and distribute them onto one of the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between each mound. Repeat with the other baking sheet and the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let the shells cool completely on the baking sheets before filling.
- Once the puffs have completely cooled, use a sharp petty knife to carefully cut around the middle of each cream puff horizontally, stopping about 75% of the way through. The pastry should still remain intact, with enough of an opening for the pudding.
- Use a small spoon to carefully place about a tablespoon of pudding inside each partially cut pastry. For a more controlled process, you can transfer the pudding to a piping bag fitted with a small circular tip and pipe the filling into each pastry.
- To melt the chocolate, place the finely chopped chocolate in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval with a spatula, until completely melted. If your chocolate has seized, don’t panic! Follow our advice on how to quickly save it.
- Drizzle or spread the melted chocolate over the top of each pastry. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: einkorn flour, cream puff, vanilla pudding, chocolate, eclair paste