A muffin so good you’ll never believe it’s 100% whole wheat – and vegan! A generous amount of coconut oil gives these muffins a light and airy texture, and enhances the flavor of the bananas. These are perfect to get your morning going, or keep you full throughout the day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a muffin pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Combine the flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes, to make a flax egg.
- Peel the bananas and place in a large bowl. Mash them up with a fork until only small chunks remain. Add the sugar and flax egg, and mix well. Add the coconut oil in a constant stream while whisking vigorously – when finished, you don’t want to see a clear film of oil on the edges. If you do, keep stirring!
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until almost incorporated. Add the blueberries and gently fold in.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups, filling to just about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops with more turbinado sugar, or another coarse-grain sugar.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a pick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully remove to a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: Muffins, Whole Wheat, Blueberry, banana, vegan, cinnamon