Smothered in barbecue sauce and stacked with smoky cheese and zesty shredded chicken, this pizza is a tangy tornado of flavor.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (approximately 1 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (such as vegetable, sunflower, or grapeseed oil)
- 6 fluid ounces beer (like a light lager)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 pizza dough balls (about 8 ounces each)
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 cup shredded Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rough chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and paprika. In a large heavy-bottomed, oven-proof skillet (like cast iron), heat 2 tablespoons neutral oil over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken until a golden brown crust forms, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Return the chicken to the pan and bake in the oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken, tossing it with the juices in the pan. Add 4 tablespoons o barbecue sauce and toss to coat. Return pan to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes to incorporate all of the flavors.
- Turn oven up to 500°F.
- Dust 4 separate pieces of parchment paper with flour, and then place a dough ball on each one. Use your hands to stretch the dough into 4 rough circles about 8 inches in diameter, sprinkling with flour if the dough is sticky. Slide each piece of parchment paper onto a baking tray.
- Spread each dough round with even amounts of the remaining barbecue sauce, and then top with the Jack, Gouda, shredded chicken, and red onion. Sprinkle each pizza with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and the olive oil.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the red onions are lightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Garnish each with a pinch of salt and pepper and the cilantro before slicing and serving.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barbecue chicken, barbecue chicken pizza, barbecue sauce