Wake up on the right side of the bed with cranberry chocolate chip scones recipe. Tangy fruit plus melted chocolate makes for a delightful morning treat.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into pieces (one stick)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped cranberries and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir well with a whisk.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter. Continue until the butter is nearly incorporated and the mixture is crumbly – the largest crumbs should be the size of small peas.
- Add sugared cranberries and chocolate. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir lightly with a spatula to combine – do not over mix.
- Place on a lightly floured work surface and divide into two equal balls. Gently flatten each to form a disc approximately 1 inch thick. Cut each disc into 8 wedges, similar to cutting a pizza.
- Transfer wedges to two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Scones
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: cranberry, chocolate chip, scone, Thanksgiving, Christmas, fall