When a serious snack attack strikes, fight back with these homemade cheese crackers. Each bite is a savory eruption of sharp cheddar and spice.
- 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cold half-and-half or heavy cream
- In a food processor, combine the cheese, butter, flour, salt, paprika, and cayenne, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the half-and-half and continue pulsing until the dough forms a ball, about 10 seconds.
- Cover the dough ball with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about an hour (or up to a day).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil, parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.
- Dust a clean work surface or cutting board with flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut into evenly-sized squares. Cut a small X in the center of each cracker. Arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and allow to rest for several minutes, and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Category: Crackers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Snacks
Keywords: cheddar, cheese crackers, savory snacks, Cheez-Its