A creamy, dreamy potato & leek soup recipe, the healthy way! So smooth and creamy, you’d never guess it was vegan. This is quick enough to make on a weeknight and feeds a crowd – or makes great leftovers!
- 2 large leeks, white & light green parts only, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 6 medium-large red potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 4 cups light-colored vegetable broth
- 2–3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the potato, trying to keep the peels in rather large chunks (but they don’t have to be huge). Set the peels aside; do no throw away. Chop the peeled potatoes into small 1 cm cubes. Prep the leeks and onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the leeks and onions and sautee about 5 minutes, until they start to brown a bit. Add the potatoes and herbs and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and enough water to cover the potatoes by about 1/2-1 inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.
- Transfer about 2/3 of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth or use an immersion blender and cream it in the pot. Add back to the soup pot and mix together. If you like your soup completely smooth, blend all of it. We prefer it with a few chunks.
- Stir in the salt and nutritional yeast and a bunch of freshly cracked black pepper. Add more salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately, with the potato peel chips.
For the Potato Peel Chips:
- While you prep the veggies for the potato chips, heat the oven to 425 and grease a sheet pan. Soak the skins in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add the olive oil and a big pinch of salt to the skins and distribute with your hands. Distribute evenly on a sheet pan in one layer and bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until nice & crispy. Serve on top of the soup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: potato soup, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, leeks, creamy, comfort