This is the perfect fall meal! With fennel, carrots, and Brussels sprouts, it makes a great vegetarian or vegan main dish, or could be used as a side.
For the Dish:
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 bunch carrots (about 10 small or 6 medium)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts
- 3–4 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz par-cooked barley
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Fresh sage leaves
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F (400°F if you’re using convection).
- Slice the tops off the fennel without cutting into the bulb itself, and cut off the base of the bulb. Slice it in half from top to bottom, then cut into 1/2″ wedges, using the center core as the pivot.
- Cut the carrots in half lengthwise. If your carrots are thick, cut in half lengthwise again. Aim to get all your carrots to be about the same width so they cook evenly.
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut in half through the stalk.
- Place all the veggies in a 9×13″ baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, then use your hands to distribute the oil. Bake for about 1 hour (50 mins for convection), tossing halfway through, until the veggies are easily pierced with a fork.
- While the veggies cook, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and mix with a fork.
- Also cook the barley – bring a pot of water to boil and add the barley. Cook for 10 minutes and drain.*
- When the veggies are done roasting, combine them with the barley, then drizzle the dressing on top. Toss a bit and serve topped with sliced cherry tomatoes and pomegranate arils. Garnish with fresh sage leaves.
Depending on the barley you use, these instructions may vary. Check the package and cook according to package directions.
Serving size is based on a vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner, where there are many dishes. If you are making this as a main dish, it’ll likely provide about 4 portions.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: side dish, barley, fennel, Brussels sprouts, vegan