These Vegan Roasted Garlic and Herb Dinner Rolls are so good! They’re also easier than you’d think to make, in a traditional roll shape, or into these pretty knots. I LOVE the knots – they look so fancy but really aren’t much more work at all!
For the Rolls:
- 3 cups (12 3/4 oz) all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp potato flour*
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp (1 fl oz) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz) lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz) almond milk*
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
For the Roasted Garlic “Butter”:
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- sea salt, to taste
- Place all the garlic cloves (5 total) in a heavy skillet (I prefer cast iron or carbon steel) over medium-high heat. Cook, turning every few minutes, until blackened in spots on all sides. Let cool, then remove the skins.
- Combine the flour, potato flour, sugar, yeast, salt, herbs, and nutritional yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer*. Add the remaining bread ingredients, including the 3 cloves of mashed garlic, and mix together to form a shaggy dough (a Danish dough whisk is the best tool for this job).
- Attach your dough hook to your mixer and knead on medium-low speed for about 10 minutes, until a smooth dough forms*. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and use your hands (I recommend oiling them with spray oil) to shape into a ball. Oil the same bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- When the dough is finished proofing, turn out onto an oiled cutting board. Use your hands to press into a rough rectangle,, then use a rolling pin to roll it out into a 13-by-10-inch rectangle. Cut the dough longways into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Follow the instructions and photographs in the text above to tie the knots. Arrange them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart, then spray with spray oil and cover completely with plastic wrap.*
- Let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. About 20 minutes before baking time, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 17 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- While the rolls bake, combine the melted margarine with the remaining mashed roasted garlic.
- When the rolls are done baking, transfer them to a cooking rack and brush with the roasted garlic “butter.” Enjoy immediately!
– Potato flour makes the bread more tender. If you don’t have potato flour, you can just replace it with an equal amount of AP flour.
– You can do this by hand, it’s just a bit messier. Kneading will take about 12-15 minutes.
– I combine the water and almond milk and then microwave for 45 seconds.
– To make these as more traditional round rolls, simply divide the dough after the first rise into 8 even portions. Roll into balls, then place in an oiled cake or pie pan with vertical sides. Proof until doubled again, then bake at 350°F until golden brown.
– If you want to make these ahead, freeze them on a baking sheet just after shaping. To cook, set out on a sheet pan for about 1.5 hours to defrost, then bake as instructed above.
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: dinner rolls, vegan, holiday sides, thanksgiving