These are the best peanut butter cookies I’ve ever made! Easy and foolproof.
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup cold vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)*
- 1/2 cup vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Extra sugar for rolling, preferably coarse sugar
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the margarine and sugars to a large bowl (preferably that of a stand mixer) and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until homogeneous and fluffy, about 3 minutes. If you don’t have a stand mixer, grab a whisk and get ready for an arm workout.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the flax mixture and the vanilla extract. Beat another 2 minutes or so until everything is well mixed. Add the peanut butter and beat until combined.
- While things are beating, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix only until just combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes. While the dough is chilling preheat your oven or large convection toaster oven to 350°F.
- Place a bit of sugar in a small bowl. Roll a tablespoon of dough between your palms to form a ball, then roll in the sugar. Place on a silicone baking mat or parchment-lined cookie sheet, then use a fork to flatten.
- Position the flattened cookies about 1.5″ apart.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Let sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
If you’d like to make these as non-vegan cookies, simply use real butter and one egg instead of the flax mixture, or follow Joy the Baker’s instructions here.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Desserts
Keywords: vegan, peanut butter, cookie, flax seed,