When the weather gets chilly, warm up with these kale mashed potatoes. The mix of greens and hearty roots will become a staple in your home.
- 2 lbs organic red potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 7 small potatoes)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale (approximately 1/2 bunch, stems removed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, cream, or kefir, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water, adding a little salt on top. Bring water to a boil and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
- Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the chopped onion, cooking until softened and transparent, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the kale, cooking until the leaves have wilted, approximately 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain the liquid and add the olive oil and 3/4 cup of the milk. Mash well.
- Add the grated cheese and continue mashing. Add more milk and continue mashing until you reach the consistency you like. Fold in the cooked kale and onion mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more Pecorino, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Side Dishes
Keywords: kale, potato, red potatoes, colcannon, mashed potatoes