Make the most of ripe summer tomatoes with the best scalloped side dish, baked with cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic, and herbs.
- Butter, to grease the pan
- 6–7 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped oregano leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes in even rows in the prepared pan, sprinkling 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella in between each slice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, basil, thyme, and oregano. Drizzle over the top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the parmesan cheese and toasted breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the tomatoes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs and serve warm.
Adapted from a recipe by Shanna Mallon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato, casserole, vegetable, side dish