Are you looking for a food dehydrator that’s going to deliver on performance, without breaking the bank?
Then, pull up a chair and have a look at the No. 1 Bestseller on Amazon in Dehydrators, the Nesco Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator FD-75A.
Simple and easy to use, the Snackmaster will easily dry fruit, veggies, herbs, nuts and berries and you can create your own jerky or even skim milk. What once took days to accomplish can now be done in a matter of hours, perfect for enjoying home preserved goodness.
And the Nesco Snackmaster Pro is a great model to start with if you’re new to the world of food driers. Let’s have a closer look to see just what we can expect from this popular model.
Nesco has developed a patented drying system called Converga-Flow, which forces heated air downwards through an exterior chamber and then horizontally across each tray, converging in the middle and back up a central corridor. The results are fast, even and nutritious drying of your meats, veggies, and herbs.
The top mounted fan and heater eliminates the mess of liquid dripping into the heating chamber – this is a critical bit to have on any dehydrator. You DO NOT want a bottom fan. Liquids fall into the fan blades and may even make their way into the motor housing. Make sure that you choose either a top mounted design like the Snackmaster or a back mounted fan as found on the Excalibur models.
The 700 watts of power provide all the energy needed for the adjustable thermostat, which can be set anywhere from 95-160ºF, and provides the necessary flexibility to ensure that you receive excellent results with a wide variety of ingredients.
The Snackmaster comes with five trays included, and can be expanded to 12 for drying larger quantities in one batch.
Features and Benefits
An adjustable thermostat can be set from 95–160 F, which provides you the flexibility to dry different foods at the appropriate temperatures – producing the best results possible.
The powerful top mounted heating coil and fan has 700 watts of power to generate the ideal conditions to dehydrate your fruits, vegetables, herbs and jerky with maximum speed while still retaining the quality and integrity of the ingredients. Your food dries in hours, not days like some other models.
The Snackmaster comes with 5 trays, but you can expand it to 12 trays with additional ones sold separately.
It also includes a number of accessories: two fruit roll-up sheets, which are perfect for drying your semi-liquids like soups, sauces, and fruit leather, and can also be used for yogurt; two flexible tray screens, which permit easy drying of your small items such as herbs, spices and potpourri; and, three spice packets of original jerky mix.
Additional roll-up sheets also also available should you decide to become a fruit leather junkie.
The opaque exterior has been designed so that it blocks harmful light and UV rays, which destroy the nutritional content of the food that’s being dehydrated. Your snacks will retain the maximum amount of nutrients.
All trays are constructed of sturdy and food safe BPA-free plastic.
It comes with Nesco’s limited 1-year manufacturer’s warranty and is made in the USA in Wisconsin.
And an easy to understand and well written User’s Manual is also included, and it contains recipes, instructions and tips to ensure your dehydrating success.
The Nesco Snackmaster measures approximately 14 x 22 x 14” and weighs in at just under 6 pounds, making countertop use and storage easy to accommodate.
Trays can be cleaned in the dishwasher if loaded on the top shelf only, and set to a gentle cycle with no heat for drying. Or, wash in warm soapy water and wipe the top housing unit clean with a damp cloth.
At the time of this writing, the Snackmaster is the No. 1 Bestseller on Amazon.com which is a testament to it’s value and price for performance. Although it may not be the best performing machine or have top marks in its construction, its low price point makes it a heck of a buy.
The following is a compilation of the most common remarks regarding the Snackmaster’s performance, both positive and critical:
- By far the most common comment is about the superb performance of this compact model, as it provides efficient and even drying for different ingredients at the same time.
- The adjustable temperature control makes drying a variety of ingredients possible, and is easy to set.
- Being a compact, stackable model, it fits nicely on the countertop when in use and is easy to store as well.
- The top mounted fan and heater get big points with the reviewers who appreciate its powerful and even drying performance. And the ease of cleanup that comes without having to wipe up any dripping mess on the electrical components is a big plus.
- It also comes with a good selection of accessories included – so there’s no surprise expenses when you want to make fruit leather or dry fine ingredients.
- Its ability to expand is another popular selling point, with many happy customers who have bought add-on trays to expand their drying capacity.
- Nesco also provides a comprehensive manual that includes many recipes and drying times, so the need to research is eliminated.
- On the down side, the Snackmaster does not have a timer. You either have to check progress manually to know when a batch is done, or purchase an outlet timer to regulate drying time.
- And, it doesn’t come with an On/Off switch either. Operation is started and stopped by plugging in or unplugging the cord – a bit of an inconvenience.
Select air dry on the dishwasher so the trays don’t warp, or hand wash to ensure they retain their shape.
The Nesco Snackmaster has rightly earned its No. 1 position on Amazon – its outstanding results, easy to use design, and hassle-free performance clearly makes it the people’s choice.
- Included Accessories
- Build Quality
This bare bones design keeps the price low and helps you get into dehydrating with a low outlay of your hard-earned cash. So, if not having a timer and an on/off switch isn’t an issue, then this model will easily fulfill your needs and that of your household.
For an economy model, the Snackmaster really delivers the goods. If you want a timer based machines, be sure to check out all of our reviews.
About Lorna Kring
Recently retired as a costume specialist in the TV and film industry, Lorna now enjoys blogging on contemporary lifestyle themes. A bit daft about the garden, she’s particularly obsessed with organic tomatoes and herbs, and delights in breaking bread with family and friends.