A food dehydrator is an excellent piece of kitchen equipment to have on hand that preserves the natural taste and goodness of fruits, vegetables, and meats.
With a decent dehydrator, you can create your own organic and preservative-free fruit leathers, dried spices and herbs, and delicious jerky – and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with providing options for healthy eating for you and your family.
L’Equip 528 500-Watt 6-Tray Food Dehydrator available on Amazon
But to do that economically in terms of time and effort, you need a well-built unit that will dry foods effectively, and in large enough quantities to make it worthwhile. That’s where a model like as the L’Equip 528 shows its value.
A top-of-the-line stackable tray dehydrator, the 528 is affordable, easy to use, and it comes with a very substantial 10-year manufacturer’s warranty.
L’Equip 528 Food Dehydrator is a handsome stacking tray model that comes with 12 square feet of usable drying space on its 6 trays.
Each tray stacks on top of the other in a design similar to that of shelf tray models – rectangular in shape rather than round – and can be expanded to include up to 20 trays.
It offers many features found only in the more expensive models, and provides complete and consistent drying – even in the corners.
With a solid state variable temperature control, L’Equip also features a microprocessor-controlled heating sensor that constantly monitors the heat to provide a stable drying environment.
And, its sleek and timeless design is attractive and easy to clean and use, making it a valued addition in any kitchen.
Features and Benefits
A stackable tray model, the 528 comes with 6 trays for 12 square feet of usable drying surface, and this can be expanded up to 20 trays.
The 500 watts provides plenty of power for the bottom-mounted heating coil and fan, and it is ideal for drying various types of food including herbs and spices, jerky, and even flowers.
The trays are all made of food-safe, stable, and BPA-free ABS plastic.
This L’Equip model includes a convenient ON/OFF switch, making it easy to check the progress of your ingredients as they dry.
The variable thermostat is sensor-controlled to provide exact drying conditions, and it is adjustable for temperatures from 90 to 155°F.
The 528 also comes with 6 mesh tray inserts for processing smaller items such as herbs, spices, flowers, nuts, and seeds.
Two fruit leather sheets are also included, for making tasty, organic fruit roll-ups.
Retractable cord storage is located in the base of the unit, at the back.
This L’Equip dryer also includes a well-written and comprehensive user’s manual. It provides several pages of recipes, a troubleshooting guide, and instructions for prepping food, dehydrating, and storage.
A substantial 10-year manufacturer’s warranty is also standard issue with this model.
L’Equip 528 is rectangular and measures 17 by 10 by 12 inches. It weighs 11 pounds.
Each tray holds approximately 2 square feet of ingredients in terms of surface area, for a 12-square-foot total capacity for all six trays
As dishwashers can harm and warp the trays, hand washing only is recommended.
Wash these up with warm soapy water, and wipe the electric base down with a damp cloth.
Many users are very satisfied with this model. The following summarizes the most common favorable and critical comments by reviewers.
- By far the most positive comment is that the 528 performs as expected and produces high-quality and consistent results – easy to use, with even and complete dehydrating in reasonable amounts of time.
- Another popular feature is the rectangular shape. Its footprint takes up less counter-top and storage space than the round stackable models, making it more convenient to use.
- And, very unusual for any piece of kitchenware that has a motor or fan, complaints about the noise are minimal to nonexistent. In fact, numerous reviewers actually compliment it on its very quiet operation.
- Happy customers also report that the trays are well constructed and sturdy enough to hold a full load.
- The instruction is also very helpful, particularly for beginners. Well-written and easy to understand, with lots of good recipes, troubleshooting tips, and instructions for preparing ingredients.
- On the down side, this model doesn’t have a timer so it can’t be set and left to do its thing. Manual checking is necessary to tell when ingredients are dry, though this is true even when using a timer, really, as the moisture content of natural ingredients can vary.
- As will all electronics, there are some complaints with the heater or fan conking out after a few uses.
- However, customer service seems to be solid, and the 10-year warranty makes returns fairly painless.
Rotating the trays occasionally will result in more uniform drying.
When rotating trays, move ingredients around for a quicker drying time, and remove any smaller pieces that have dried first before continuing operation.
A Solid Option
L’Equip 528 is a reliable, no-frills food dehydrator with ample drying surface to process a variety of ingredients – and it does so with no hassle.
- Included Accessories
- Build Quality
The ability to add on even more trays means even greater versatility for creating healthy snacks at home, as an added bonus.
Read more reviews and check current prices now on Amazon
Easy to use, sturdy, and well built, the 10-year warranty and reliable customer service make this model one sweet deal.
About Lorna Kring
Recently retired as a costume specialist in the TV and film industry, Lorna now enjoys blogging on contemporary lifestyle themes. A bit daft about the garden, she’s particularly obsessed with organic tomatoes and herbs, and delights in breaking bread with family and friends.