A food dehydrator is a great piece of kitchen equipment that preserves the natural taste and goodness of fruits, vegetable and meats.
With a decent dehydrator, you can create your own organic and preservative free fruit leathers, dried spices and herbs, and delicious jerky – and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with healthy eating for you and your family.
L’Equipe 528 500-watt 6 Tray Food Dehydrator available on Amazon
But to do that with an economy of time and effort, you need a well-built unit that will dry foods effectively, and in great enough quantities to make it worthwhile. And that’s where a model such as the L’Equip 528 shows its value.
A top of the line stackable tray dehydrator, the 528 is affordable, easy to use and comes with a very substantial 10 year manufacturer’s warranty.
The L’Equip 528 Food Dehydrator is a handsome stacking tray model that comes with 12 square feet of usable drying space on its 6 trays.
Each tray stacks on top of the other in a design similar to that of shelf tray models – rectangular in shape rather than round, and can be expanded to include up to 20 trays.
It offers many features found only in the more expensive models and provides complete and consistent drying – even in the corners.
With a solid state variable temperature control, the L’Equip features a microprocessor controlled heating sensor that constantly monitors the heat to provide a stable drying environment.
And, its sleek and timeless design is easy to clean and use, making it a valued addition in any kitchen.
Features and Benefits
A stackable tray model, the 528 comes with 6 trays for 12 sq. ft. of usable drying surface, and can be expanded up to 20 trays.
The 500 watts provides plenty of power for the bottom mounted heating coil and fan, and is ideal for drying food, herbs and spices, jerky and flowers.
The trays are all made of made of food safe, stable and BPA-free ABS plastic.
The L’Equip comes with a convenient ON/OFF switch, making it easy to check the progress of ingredients as they dry.
The variable thermostat is sensor controlled to provide exact drying conditions, and is adjustable for temperatures from 90 – 155 F.
The 528 also comes with 6 mesh tray inserts for using with smaller items such as herbs, spices, flowers, nuts and seeds etc.
2 fruit leather sheets are included, making tasty, organic fruit roll ups easy and simple.
Retractable cord storage is located in the base of the unit, at the back.
L’Equipe also includes a well-written and comprehensive User’s Manual. It includes several pages of recipes, a troubleshooting guide, ‘how to’ steps for prepping food, dehydrating and storage methods.
A substantial 10 year manufacturer’s warranty is also standard issue with this model.
The L’Equip 528 is rectangular shaped and measures 17 x 10 x 12”, and weighs 11 pounds. Each tray holds approximately 2 sq. ft., for a 12 sq. ft. capacity for all six trays
As dishwashers can harm and warp the trays, hand washing only is recommended. Wash up with warm soapy water and wipe the electric base down with a damp cloth.
Of the 164 reviews by verified purchasers on Amazon, 83% rate this model at 4 and 5 stars, while 17% give it 3 stars or less. The following summarizes the most common favorable and critical comments by reviewers.
What others are saying:
- By far the most positive comment is that the 528 performs as expected and produces high-quality and consistent results – easy to use, with even and complete dehydrating in reasonable amounts of time.
- Another popular feature is the rectangular shape. Its footprint takes up less counter-top and storage space than the round stackable models, making it more convenient to use.
- And, very unusual for any item of kitchenware that has a motor or fan, no complaints about the noise. In fact, numerous reviewers compliment it on its very quiet operation.
- Happy customers also report that the trays are well constructed and sturdy enough to hold a full load.
- The instruction manual seems to be very helpful. Well written and easy to understand, with lots of good recipes, troubleshooting tips and instruction for preparing ingredients.
- On the down side, this model doesn’t have a timer so it can’t be set and left. Manual checking is necessary to tell when ingredients are dry.
- And, as will all electronics, there are some complaints with the heater or fan conking out after a few uses.
- But, customer service seems to be solid and the 10 year warranty makes returns fairly painless.
Rotating the trays occasionally will result in more uniform drying.
When rotating trays, move ingredients around for a quicker drying time.
The L’Equip 528 is a reliable, no-frills food dehydrator with ample drying surface to process a variety of ingredients – and does so with no hassles.
- Included Accessories
- Build Quality
And the ability to add on even more trays means even greater versatility for creating healthy snacks at home.
Easy to use, sturdy and well built, the 10 year warranty and reliable customer service make this model one sweet deal.
About Lorna Kring
Recently retired as a costume specialist in the TV and film industry, Lorna now enjoys blogging on contemporary lifestyle themes. A bit daft about the garden, she’s particularly obsessed with organic tomatoes and herbs, and delights in breaking bread with family and friends.