For the serious food dehydrating enthusiast, a few things are absolutely necessary – adequate power to maintain heat and air circulation, ample capacity to process large batches and the durability to endure heavy use.
So, if you’re looking to step out of the realm of novice, and into that of a master jerky maker, then the STX Dehydra may be the ideal choice for your consideration.
Powerful with a large capacity, this model is designed to deliver quantity and quality. Let’s look at what the Dehydra offers.
With a total of 1200 watts of power, this model offers optimal drying time via the variable thermostat and 16 square feet of usable drying surface.
Both the generously sized trays and housing unit are constructed of durable 304 grade stainless steel, and the rear-mounted heater and fan provide ample air flow to ensure proper dehydration.
This large commercial grade unit boasts a fully digital control panel for added convenience and has a 12-hour shutoff timer.
For extra convenience, the entire unit is designed on a break-away concept so that each component can be removed and cleaned separately from the rest.
Features and Benefits
The STX Dehydra comes with 10 drying racks made of 304 grade stainless steel – there’s no chrome, and no flaking on these sturdy racks.
The drying racks measure 14.5 x 16”, and with all 10 racks inserted that equals a very substantial 16 sq. ft. of drying surface.
The variable thermostat allows for temperatures from 95 – 165 F, which is ideal for drying fruit, vegetables, herbs, spices, flowers, potpourri and jerky.
The 1200 watts provides ample power to run the back mounted heater and 7” fan providing consistent drying heat throughout the entire dehydrator with its horizontal air flow.
The digital control panel provides a clear LED display for simple and easy operation.
A convenient digital timer provides 12 hours of programmable heat and will shut off automatically when the time limit is reached.
Conveniently designed as a split-apart unit, the Dehydra can be separated in seconds for easier cleaning after usage. The back completely separates for cleaning, but is held securely in place with latches for operation.
The Dehydra also comes with a large stainless steel drip pan that makes clean up a snap. Just like the stainless drying racks, the drip pan is easily removed from the bottom of the unit for quick clean-up.
2 FDA approved silicone mats for making fruit leather are also included.
STX offers a 3 year manufacturer’s warranty, but only for US residents.
Also included is an Owner’s Manual with complete usage instruction and tips for the best dried foods.
The STX Dehydra measures 20.5 x 17 x 16”, weighs 32 pounds. The ample racks measure 14.5 x 16” for a total capacity of 16 sq. ft. of drying area.
Separate the dehydrator unit from the heating/fan back and wash the trays in warm soapy water. Wipe the interior and exterior of the housing unit with a damp cloth.
We’ve listed a summary of the the most common operational observation and from those customers that have left reviews on Amazon.
- Most of the positive comments are reporting on the effectiveness of this simple and well-built model. It’s easy to assemble, use, and clean and produces tasty, evenly dried foods within reasonable amounts of time
- Delivers better results than expected.
- The next most commented on factor is how easy this unit is to clean. The back, with the heater and fan, separate completely from the drier unit so there’s no electrical parts to try and protect. And the tray guides pop off so the interior surface is completely flat – nowhere for food particles to hide.
- This model has a very basic design, so assembly is simple and easy. Numerous reports of having it unpackaged, washed, assembled and in use in under an hour.
- There are several very favorable comments about customer support. Voicemail queries are returned within 24 hours, calls are answered by real people that are easy to talk to and know their products, and requests for replacement parts and exchanges are hassle free and dealt with promptly.
- The quality of the stainless steel seems to be another impressive feature, with no plastic parts to be found anywhere near food items.
- Some of the older comments referred to the fan being on the loud side. However, more recent reviews (in the last year) report the fan being “whisper quite”, with a handful of reviewers reporting they first thought their unit was defective it runs so quietly.
- The majority of the customers who wrote reviews report that this model makes superb jerky, with even and complete drying of all pieces even when all 10 trays are fully loaded with meat.
- On the negative side, some have had problems with the heater coil conking out after a limited amount of use and have either exchange or returned the dryer.
- Others mentioned that for their ‘wish list’, a smaller sized grid on the drying trays would be a nice feature. Otherwise, screening or parchment paper needs to be purchased to dry smaller items.
When operating, make sure to leave a couple of inches airspace around the drier to provide proper ventilation for optimal drying times.
The stainless racks are metal and should be washed before using to remove any tooling oil.
The STX Dehydra is designed for the dehydrating purist – all stainless steel with no plastic parts, an extra-large capacity, and the power and durability to run almost continuously.
- Included Accessories
- Build Quality
One of the few all metal offerings available to the average consumer and with plenty of power, the STX Dehydra 1200W-XLS is capable of processing most any foods into scrumptious and nutritious snacks, ingredients, or for your preps. Although made in China (designed in the US), don't let that hold you back. Although we rarely recommend made in China products, the company's quality control is nearly flawless and the cost would be prohibitive for many folks if it were produced in the USA (at least double).
Priced at the higher end of the scale, it’s for those who are dedicated to processing large batches of food and are willing to pay a bit more to obtain the best equipment that will get the job done.
Sturdy, simple and dependable, the Dehydra makes drying foods easy and enjoyable – a true performer.
About Lorna Kring
Recently retired as a costume specialist in the TV and film industry, Lorna now enjoys blogging on contemporary lifestyle themes. A bit daft about the garden, she’s particularly obsessed with organic tomatoes and herbs, and delights in breaking bread with family and friends.