LEMON ASPARAGUS RISOTTO // Serves 4
You can substitute a variety of seasonal vegetables!
1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice
2/3 Cup Dry White Wine
1 tbsp. Butter
2 Large Leeks, Sliced White and Light Green Parts to make 3 Cups
4 Cups Organic, Low Sodium Vegetable/Chicken Stock
1 lb Asparagus (ends removed)
1 Lemon, Zest and Juice
1/2 Cup Soft Cheese (Can be Chevre, Ricotta or Mascarpone)
1 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
1/3 Finely Chopped Parsley
Fresh Ground Pepper, Garlic Salt, Red Pepper Flakes
1. In one pot, begin to bring the stock to a simmer.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and saute for about 8 to 10 minutes until they begin to caramelize. Add the white wine.
3. Add the rice to the saucepan and stir until all in coated in the butter leek mixture, and half the wine is absorbed.
4. Add in a cup of the stock and stir, making sure to scrape the piece on the bottom. Once it looks like most of the liquid is absorbed, add another cup of stock and repeat.
5. Between stirring, slice the asparagus in half length wise. Cut again width wise two to three time to give you pieces that are about two inches. Add all asparagus into the risotto. Add another cup of stock and stir gently.
6. Lastly add your last cup of stock, and sprinkle in a pinch of salt and generous pinch of red pepper flakes. Give the risotto a few stirs, and while it is still a bit soupy, add the soft cheese, parsely, lemon juice and zest and half of the Parmesan and GENTLY stir.
7. Serve immediately. Put a portion in a bowl and sprinkle with remaining Parm and a grind of fresh black pepper!
About Shanna Mallon
Shanna holds an MA in writing from DePaul University. Her mantra? Restoring order and celebrating beauty through creative content, photography, and food. Shanna's work has been featured in Bon Appetit, The Kitchn, MSN.com, Everyday Health, Better Homes & Gardens, Houzz.com, Food News Journal, Food52, Zeit Magazine, Chew the World, Mom.me, Babble, Delish.com, Parade, Foodista, Entrepreneur and Ragan PR.