I’m pretty sure this dish right here is my favorite thing about summer.I know there are lots of other amazing things about summer, but don’t underestimate this corn salad. Believe me.
I was introduced to this super simple little medley by one of my very good friends, Annie.
She’s been making it ever since we lived together 5 years or so ago and I have always loved it.
Annie never used cheese that I can remember (or maybe she used mozzarella?), but I jazzed it up this time with some gorgonzola crumbles.
If this salad was missing anything from the original recipe, it was some good moldy cheese.
But, if you are anti- moldy cheeses, you could certainly replace it with some torn mozzarella, or even omit it entirely. I have had this salad many a time sans cheese, and loved it all the same.
This recipe really speaks for itself, but I think the photos help as well. They really show off the bright, summery character of this salad.Print
This corn salad screams summer with fresh corn, basil, cherry tomatoes, and creamy gorgonzola cheese. Omit the cheese for an equally delightful vegan dish.
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp minced red onion
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles (optional)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, then add the shucked ears of corn. Cook for 4 minutes, then remove the corn to a plate to cool.
- When the corn is cool enough to be handled, cut the kernels off. Cut most of the way down to the cob, but not too close or you’ll get crunchy bits.
- Combine the corn with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss and serve warm or chill before serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: corn, tomato, salad, gorgonzola, basil, vegetarian, summer
Do you love sweet, golden kernels? Then check out these tasty recipes:
- Fresh Corn Pasta Salad
- Summer Corn Chowder with Herb Garlic Bread
- Curried Corn and Cabbage Soup
- Southern Corn Pudding
Want more? Browse through all of our tasty corn recipes now.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy sweet corn while it’s in season? Let us know in the comments, and please give this recipe five stars if you loved it!
Don’t forget to Pin It!
Photos by Raquel Smith, © Ask the Experts, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. See our TOS for more details. Originally published on June 30th, 2015. Last updated: June 9, 2019 at 13:23 pm. With additional writing and editing by Allison Sidhu.
Nutritional information derived from a database of known generic and branded foods and ingredients and was not compiled by a registered dietitian or submitted for lab testing. It should be viewed as an approximation.
About Raquel Smith
Raquel is a whole foods enthusiast, an avid mountain biker, and a dog lover. She works by day at Food Blogger Pro and formerly maintained her food blog "My California Roots" (now being merged into Foodal).