A hearty and healthy winter soup made with homemade beef broth and nutrient packed veggies such as rainbow chard and grape tomatoes. After you’ve gouged yourself on carbs over the holidays, use this tasty recipe to recharge and refresh yourself.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- stalks from a bunch of rainbow chard, chopped
- leaves from a bunch of rainbow chard, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- a spring of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans, soaked and cooked ahead of time*
- 4 cups beef broth**
- 1-ounce piece of Pecorino rind
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, chopped carrots, chopped celery, chopped garlic and chopped chard stems. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped rainbow chard leaves and cubed sweet potato; saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and thyme.
- Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the cooked beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a food processor until almost smooth. Add this pureed bean mixture, the remaining broth and the Pecorino cheese rind to the vegetable mixture.
- Simmer until the sweet potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the beans and the parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Discard Parmesan rind and thyme sprig if you can find it.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Adapted from Giada’s Winter Minestrone Recipe
*You could alternatively use canned cannellini beans.
**We went with an unseasoned homemade beef broth, so if you choose a store-bought version, look for low sodium so you’re able to control the salt in the recipe.
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: winter, minestrone, soup, rainbow chard, healthy