Do you ever feel like you’re a stranger in your own kitchen?
You know, when you have a super-crazy-ridiculous hectic schedule for a week, and you don’t have time to cook?
That was me this past week. With a combo of work, meetings, and social engagements, I hadn’t touched my stove once.
So when I finally found myself back in the kitchen last night with a few leftover veggies and salad greens from a previous restaurant outing, I felt like life might actually be getting back to normal.
When AJ asked if I was going to take pictures, it kind of surprised me, since this hadn’t even occurred to me…
But here they are. Pretty, yes?
This is a simple meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make. It’s perfect for easing yourself back into the kitchen if you’ve been on hiatus for a little while.
It’s also flexible – use whatever veggies you have on hand. It’s definitely springtime here in California, so the spring veggies are abundant! I used a colorful mixture of plump tomatoes, zucchini, asparagus, and red onions.
And with a spiced tahini dressing you can quickly whisk together, this is no ordinary ranch. I think you’ll really enjoy the unique flavors from the spices, with the help of a few friends on your spice rack.
Use whatever grain suits your fancy. Wild rice or quinoa would be delicious here, as would some farro. Make it yours. To cook the rice, you can use our stovetop method or a rice cooker.
Get back in your kitchen with this easy recipe!Print
Grilled Veggie Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
Need a fresh and healthy salad recipe? Make this grilled veggie salad with tahini dressing. Mix with your favorite grains and greens.
For the Salad Mix:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1 cup cooked grains (brown rice, quinoa, farro, etc.)
- 4 cups lightly packed salad greens
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the bell pepper into roughly 6 chunks. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch strips. Peel the onion and slice into 1/4-inch rounds, keeping all the layers together.
- Brush the oil on a griddle or grill pan. Neatly place all the veggies, except the asparagus, on the pan, with as little overlap as possible.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, until lightly charred. Flip each piece individually. Add the whole asparagus. Cook another 7 minutes or so, occasionally tossing the asparagus. The bell peppers will still be a bit crunchy – you can continue to cook them if you prefer them to be softer.
- While the vegetables cook, mix together the ingredients for the dressing with a whisk.
- Place the salad greens on a plate and top with a few spoonfuls of the grains. Top with the cooked veggies and finish with a drizzle of the dressing. Mix it all together, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, salad, grains, tomatoes, asparagus, bell pepper, zucchini
Don’t Abandon Your Kitchen – It Misses You
You can’t eat takeout forever!
Show your kitchen some love, and make this quick and simple recipe with a medley of veggies and grains.
Even with a busy schedule, there are still ways to make a fresh, healthy, and totally delicious meal.
What are your quick go-to salads when you’re in a hurry? What grains do you like to use in your cooking? I’d love to get your ideas in the comment section below. And don’t forget to rate the recipe after you try it!
You’ll love all of our salads, but for more grain-based options like this grilled veggie one, try some of these recipes:
- Asparagus and Snow Pea Salad
- Chickpea, Spinach, and Vegan Sausage Farro Grain Bowls
- Tofu and Charred Grean Bean Salad
Photos by Raquel Smith, © Ask the Experts, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. See our TOS for more details. Originally published on March 25, 2015. Last updated: December 31, 2019 at 5:01 am. With additional writing and editing by Nikki Cervone.
Nutritional information derived from a database of known generic and branded foods and ingredients and was not compiled by a registered dietitian or submitted for lab testing. It should be viewed as an approximation.
About Raquel Smith
Raquel is a whole foods enthusiast, an avid mountain biker, and a dog lover. She works by day at Food Blogger Pro and formerly maintained her food blog "My California Roots" (now merged into Foodal).
5 thoughts on “Grilled Veggie Salad with Tahini Dressing”
This is such a healthy and delicious salad. Perfect for me to make for my vegetarian family too!
I love grilled veggies…great idea to put them on salad. Pinning and making soon! 🙂
Thanks, Veronica! Let me know how you like it 🙂
I totally need to try this tahini dressing, sounds delicious.